After all the waiting, the Great Georgia Pollinator Census is in August!
During the census, we will be differentiating between bees and flies and sometimes that can be intimidating. Don’t be concerned. Telling the difference between bees and flies is not difficult with some practice.
This bumblebee shows typical bee morphology:
- hairy body
- noticeable antennae
- eyes towards the sides of the head
- pollen gathering apparatus
- four wings that fold over the body at rest
- non-hairy body
- less obvious antennae
- eyes located more on top of the head
- no pollen gathering apparatus
- two wings